Friday, September 7, 2012

Join me

In praying for the Untouchables (Dalits) in India.

I am currently reading No Longer a Slumdog by K. P. Yohannan.   It is a great but extremely difficult read.  The book talks about the caste system in India and how children are affected.  Previously, I knew that it was bad in India but as I am reading this there are names and true stories about little ones that are absolutely heart breaking.  My first response is to want to get on a plane and go, but reality for us right now is that we can sponsor a child and pray, pray and pray some more.  It is easy in our little bubble to forget and/or disregard what is going on all around the world.  My prayer is that the Lord will continue to remind me and bring me to my knees before Him.

This poem (found in No Longer a Slumdog) is written from the perspective of a Dalit child.

I am nobody
Worthless my life is
To Untouchables I was born.
A Dalit child my fate sealed.

I was born in slums 
Rights? We have none
To upper-caste our lives we owe
Slaves to serve all their wish.

Poverty and hunger
Is all I ever knew
If there is hope
Tell me how?

What is my future?
Do I have any?
It all looks so dark
And I wish I was not born.

As I think about these children and the situations that the Lord has placed them in, I am brought to tears and am extremely humbled by where God has placed me and my family.  We did nothing to earn this, it is only by the grace of God that we are where we are.  

Lord, may we be a family that is moved by compassion for those around us and around the world and may we weep for the lost and hurting.  May these children know You as their Redeemer, for you alone can redeem.  

If you have never checked out Gospel for Asia, please do!

No comments: